Wednesday, August 6, 2014

QUICK REVIEW GALORE

I have this little habit of pretending to be a critic and making reviews every time I read or watch something.  I usually type a brief review with my phone after I finish reading or watching something with the intention to post it later in this blog. However, since I have this chronic laziness to re-write and edit every drafts made on the spur of the moment, not every drafts then made into blog posts.  Today, I have decided to compile some of those short reviews and share it here (The coherent ones with complete sentences, at least. Those with unfinished sentences and random unexplainable words such as "Blergh" or "Buh" will stay forever in the draft folders of my phone)

Let the quick review galore begins (in no specific order)!






1. The Raid 2 (Movie)
This movie somehow reminds me of Kill Bill. I'm not saying it's a bad thing - it just does. Compared to The Raid 1, this movie has a whole lot more action scenes (which are totally amazing) but I'm not sure it's a good thing. It just gets old quickly - there is a limit on how many kicking scenes I can watch and actually get excited about before I snore when somebody kills somebody.
But I love the fact that this movie, arguably, avoids the so-called sequel curse. Instead of creating a new reality for the sequel which would disconnects the emotional relations between the two movies, The Raid 2 expands the reality in the first movie into a bigger, better world with so many additional, side characters to make the world within this movie gets even richer. It kinda makes me wish that this movie is a series instead, akin to Lost or Heroes series (Someone needs to make this happen) 
Speaking of the side characters, I am totally in love with the ensemble in this movie. Admittedly they are not completely fleshed out (because this is a movie. It's kinda difficult to cramp so many back stories into 2.5 hours frame) but in that short span of time, they manage to bring out so many chemistry that made me want to find out about them even more. I love the subtle and quiet intensity that Theo Pakusadewo and Cok Simbara brings into their character and Eka Antara does not disappoint me, either. The three of them anchor the extended reality of this movie and makes it way more interesting (I wish I could say the same about Alex Abbad. His character is supposed to be the ultimate villain and mastermind in this movie, but he lacks the acting skill to make this character believable. To put it simply, I know he's acting as his character but I never once believe that he IS the character). 
But for me personally, the one that really steals the spotlight in this movie is none other than Arifin Putra. He really hits it out of the park! You know, I used to think Arifin is just one of those young actors who earns his popularity in Indonesia entertainment scene using only his pretty face (like so many young actors and actress nowadays) without actually having the necessary acting skills. But then, I watched his creepy portrayal as one of Ibu Dara's son in Rumah Dara and it made realize that he is so much more than just a pretty face. He can do that subtle acting with blazing intensity using simple gestures and eye contacts that scares the hell out of me (which does not happen a lot). Different than Alex Abbad, he makes his character believable, like this character is actually living off screen in a real world. He manages to juggle the emotional complication of being one mafia heir - menacing but vulnerable at the same time. I can't wait to see Arifin Putra in another role like this soon. 
I give this movie 4 out of 5.



2. Ilusi Imperia (Book) 
I actually love the premise at the first sight - a rookie reporter with supernatural ability who happens to be tangled in the middle of highly publicized murder investigation for her first official task at the office. Awesome! But the more I read, the more the story leaves me cold. I can't wait to finish it just for the sake of finishing what I already started. Another thing: the miscellaneous facts that are randomly thrown into the story is really fun, but it gets boring really quickly.  In short, the story is definitely the kind of story I always look for at the book store, but the writing itself does not live up to its potential. It kinda makes me sad.
I give this book 2 out of 5.



3. The Mindy Project (American TV Series)
WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN ALL MY LIFE?!!
God, this series is pure gem. Mindy is, hands down, one of the best female characters I've ever seen in a long time (and I've seen a lot. And by a lot, I mean a lot. Social-life-be-damned a lot). She's a complete package for me - a sassy diva with brain, confidence, a takes-no-prisoners attitude and great sense of humor to boot. I know I'm gonna love this series from the get-go when at episode 1, Mindy says: "Who I have been is not who I am going to be" Hence, The Mindy Project.
Another thing to love about this series is the quirky ensemble that cracks me up every single time, the delicious chemistry and sexual tension between Mindy and her main love interest/co-worker/BFF/frenemies, Danny (which, by the way, is now my number one OTP of all time) and the dialogue! Oh the dialogue in this series is GOLD.  It's so witty, snarky but full of heart at the same time.
When I found out that Mindy Kaling (the lead actress) is also the creator and main writer for this series, I automatically make her my role model. I want to be her. 
I give this series infinity out of 5. 


4. Sherlock (British TV Series)
Funny thing about Sherlock: I actually watched the American version (Elementary) first, before I watched this one (Sherlock is actually produced before Elementary). I also happened to read one article comparing the two series which ends with the conclusion that Elementary is a better one, so I kinda have my reservation on starting to watch Sherlock. But one of my friend highly recommended this series, I finally checked it out.
And I love it. More than Elementary, haha.
I finished all three seasons in the course of three days and was totally bummed when I read that the fourth season of Sherlock is (probably) gonna be aired around 2016. That's another two years *dies*
What I love about Sherlock is, first and foremost, the character Sherlock himself. Sherlock in this series is more of an asshole (or an arsehole, as the British would put it) than its American version. I know, based on many other reviews I found on the net, that this version of Sherlock is off-putting for some people, but personally I find this version of Sherlock fascinating. It works with the context of him being a high-functioning sociopath.
I also love the format of British Sherlock which only consists of three 90 minutes long episodes for one season. As much as I love American TV series, sometimes I find that they have too many episodes for one season. Sometimes I feel like skipping all the episodes in the middle and get to the main conflict already.
Last but not least, I love this series for the fact that it casts so many different type of women, which  is a rare occurrence in American TV series. Many praises Elementary for its decision to put a twist on Watson character by casting Lucy Liu as Joan Watson (a female ex-surgeon turned Sherlock protegee and partner), which puts forward female figure of color on the spotlight. However, I also love Sherlock for the same reason as Elementary - it puts female figure from various body shape and age category on the spotlight. I guess I'm just bored to see television series populated by young and model-resembling female. Not that it's a bad thing. It's just it's not how it works in real world. There are a variety of women and it needs to be acknowledged.   
 I give this series 4.5 out of 5 
(just because the waiting time between seasons are TOO DAMN LONG)



5. My Mad Fat Diary (British TV Series)
Here's what I found out:  British TV series has similarities with Japanese drama as American TV series with Korean drama - in general, both British and Japanese have shorter format than American or Korean drama but arguably tackle darker and meatier kind of story, compared to American or Korean drama which, often times, prefer to stick with the fun and trendy stories. My Mad Fat Diary is the perfect example for the comparison I just mentioned - instead of telling the usual tale of teenagers life (you know, the ups and downs of having crushes/lovers, peer pressure, parents issue etc), it solely deals with the serious issue of mental health on both teenagers and adults (body image and self esteem issue, depression and suicidal risk).  It's raw and honest to the point that it's heart breaking.
I also appreciate the fact that despite the seriousness that underlies every conflict throughout the season, the series never forgets to be hilarious.
It's always fun to have someone you can relate to on the screen (I am dealing with a mental health issue on my own -everybody is- so watching this kind of series from time to time is kinda reassuring).
I give this series 5 out of 5.   



6. The Fault  in Our Stars (Movie)
Well, the movie is definitely not the book (here's my complete review of the book)
Somehow, although the movie is following the original book plot closely (probably because John Green is directly involved in the production of this movie), I don't feel the original magic of book is successfully transferred to the movie. I'm not sure why. It just feels like an ordinary teen-flick that romanticizes terminal diseases with the purpose of wringing tears out of its audiences. It might work if I were a 15 years old high-schooler, but I'm a bitter, heartless late-20 female now.
I rolled my eyes so hard every time the casts are being dramatic on screen - obviously, no crying involved (I had fun looking around and laughing at people who cried watching this at the cinema, though)
I give this movie 2 out of 5 


7. Fangirl (Book. Currently reading)
So before reading this book, I finished a string of other books such as Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock (Mathew Quick), Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children (Ransom Riggs), If I Stay and Where She Went (Gayle Foreman), Eleanor and Park (Rainbow Rowell) and several more. I remember liking all the books I just mentioned (side note: I just found out that Tim Burton would make movie adaptation for Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children. Also If I Stay is going to be a movie too. I really think I have a talent of picking up good-for-movie-adaptation book. Almost every book read ended up being a movie!) but the good impression does not last as long as I would love. It's similar to having a crush to a stranger you meet on the street - he's cute and everything, but five seconds later you'll forget him. You'll only remember him once in a while. That's exactly how I feel about all those books.
Fangirl (also by Rainbow Rowell) is different case altogether. Most of times, reading books (or watching movies/series) means taking a glimpse of someone else life but once in a while, you will find a book that you can relate so much that it hurts. Fangirl is that book for me. The heroine in this book have so much similarities with myself that sometimes I feel like reading my own memoire: an introverted book worm and fangirl with so much reluctance to connect with her surroundings. Me in a nutshell. Even her character quirks in the beginning of the book ( for example: she cannot push herself to get out of the room to eat in the dining hall because she just does not feel comfortable being in the strange, new environment and also she does not feel like writing in the presence of others because that would intervene her creative process. "Intruder Alert!" she said) are precisely the kind of things I've been doing untul this very second. It's uncanny how the heroine in this story is so similar to me. There are so many times I have to stop reading the book, just to laugh at myself and say: "It's me. This book is about me."
I give this book 5 out 5. 
(Not saying that it's flawless, I just have a special spot for any books that get me so freaking well)   



8. The Walking Dead
Okay. This is gonna be funny review because so far, out of four season, I have only watched three full episodes of The Walking Dead season one and so many clips of other episodes of The Walking Dead up until season four (and episode recaps. I love reading episode recaps which kinda helps me up to date with the series without actually watching it). 
Why?
I started to have a nightmare after watching this series haha. I'm not going to say this series is creepy or scary (because being an Asian, I've seen scarier movies/series than this one), but it gets too intense and too real for me. Instead of amusement and fun that I usually get from watching movies/series, I get a thrilling nightmare that wakes me up in the middle of night, sweating, because I thought I was going to be captured by hordes of zombies in my own living room. Not cool.
So I give this series 5 out of 5. Because it's good, really.  It's so good it gives you nightmares.
(But I will never watch this again)


Cheers!

Si Mbak

0 comments:

Post a Comment