Sunday, February 15, 2015

Weekly Babble #1

(Source: thoughtcatalog)
So. 

I decided, on a whim just now, to use my blog more often since this blog has been so neglected that once in a while, I forget that it even exists in the first place. Someone asked me this question once: why don't you write more often? Don't you love writing? 

Well, I do. I even make some money out of writing. But the thing is, writing has not yet become a part of my daily life, something that I always look forward to when I start my day. I write only when I feel like it - not the best habit to have if I ever aspire to become a writer. But so far, up until this second, writing has always been something of a waiting process for me: I wait for that right moment to arrive or rather,  I'm waiting for the energy inside me to build-up until all those energy gets to the point that everything explodes and I find myself surrounded with words that won't stop flowing from my head into my hand, which is always a delightful process. Again, I realize that I need to change my writing habit into something more regular but I still find it really hard. Every time I try to write something when it's not the time yet, the result is less than satisfying and it always ends up on the recycle bin. Not to mention I'm always easily distracted by my external environment which also has an effect to my writing (ie. I've always stopped writing whenever someone comes nearby which is often whenever I try to sneak writing time at the office). 

So then what should I do to make myself visit and write here more and hopefully, help me change my writing habit into a better one? 

And then I just thought, well I need to force myself into it. I should just make one regular personal post every week about anything I would like to talk about every week! (which hopefully is going to become something regular. I'll try my best. I promise) (Okay, I'm bad at commitment or keeping promises. So let me rephrase that last sentence: I'll really try)

So on to the post!


(source: groupthink)
1.  Currently on my mind: There's a new novel that I've been working on at the moment - which actually is kind of an overstatement, since I've stumbled a very large writer's block which blocks me from the actual process of writing (maybe I should just call it a wall, instead. Because it's so tall I barely see the end of it and I'm still not sure how to climb over it). This one has been on the work since last year's September (so it's been almost five months! Argh) and  I've written five different drafts (same characters, different plot), just for the first chapter only. I do have my outline from start to finish, but writing first chapter has always been the most difficult thing to do for me. The first chapter sets the whole stage for my writing process - the driving force that propels all the characters alive for me, if you will - so getting it right is always important to me. So far, nothing. I have a feeling that I'm going to write the sixth draft and it's kinda making me upset.



2. Currently loving: I just had a great weekend getaway to Bandung with a group of close/childhood friends who I've known since 10 (and even earlier. Basically we grew up in the same neighborhood ever since we were born, went to elementary and junior high together before situation forced every one of us leave the neighborhood and scattered all over Indonesia. Twenty years later, here we are). One of my friend who is the resident of Bandung  (although she works in Jakarta) acted as a host for everybody to make sure everybody has great time and we sure did! I had a lot of fun (and a lot of food, which is both a blessing and curse. I need to get in shape, pronto! ... I sound like a broken record... ) and even went to visit Saung Angklung Udjo (SAU), for a little dash of culture in our itinerary (which consists of mostly eating great food). I think I'll write a review for Saung Angklung Udjo next.

(Source: luxuryinsouthernafrica.com)
3. Currently reading: I'm about to start 'The Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed Out of The Window and Disappeared' by Jonas Jonasson and I think it's going to be so much fun. I found myself smiling after just a few pages, so I have high hope. Prior to reading this one, I also finished The Giver and Me Before You and there's something I noticed ever since I read these two books. I need to write another post (wait. How many blog posts do I need to write? Plus I also want to talk about my rage regarding Me Before You ending that makes me want to flip the table)

(Source: giphy.com)

4. And other stuffs: Excited for this weekend because my mom and my dad and my baby sister is going to come to Jakarta! Everybody in the family will come here for my cousin's wedding (which reminds me: I think I'm gonna play another drink game every time someone asks me about my non-existent wedding plan. Ask away, people!!!) and afterwards, we're planning to see around Jakarta.


Cheers!

Si Mbak

0 comments:

Post a Comment