Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Quick Review Galore: Part Deux!

Oh hi abandoned blog.

I'm back. Sort of (source: fallontonightgif tumblr)
So after spending months wasting my life doing nothing productive (no really. I'm not even kidding. There were times when I just spend almost 24 hours lying down in my bed doing nothing but staring at ceiling like one of those mental patient. Except there wasn't anything wrong with my mental)

(Or was it?)

Anyway here's another quick review galore of some of the things (well, three to be exact) that have been accompanying me during my slump time (in no particular order):
 

1. How To Get Away With Murders (TV Series)
Another Shonda Rhimes' production that hooks me up immediately! Look I don't know what Mrs. Rhimes has been taking to keep her creative juice endlessly flowing but can I have some of those? I mean, seriously. Where do I have to go and sell my soul to get whatever it is that Mrs Rhimes has?

Anyway, the premise of How To Get Away With Murder is as intriguing as the title promises: the series basically explores the progression of events leading to the titular murder(s) as well as explores the murder's impact on everybody in the series and their subsequent attempts to get away with the said murder. Fun times!!

For what it's worth, this series kinda reminds me of Scandal (another Shondaland's production), in so many ways. For starter, it creates a fictional world that is both thrilling and addictive using so many twists that seemingly come out of the blue, it's filled with fascinatingly damaged characters who drive you crazy because you would never know what the hell is going on inside their heads and most importantly, the story is led by a very strong and bad-ass female figure who is allowed to be rightfully respected and feared in their respective fields, while also maintain their vulnerability as women and human being (If Scandal has Kerry Washington playing Olivia Pope, the highly regarded crisis manager specializing in political situation, HTGAWM gives the starring role to Oscar-nominated Viola Davis who plays the role of Annalise Keating, the star criminal defense attorney and law professor at Middleton University). All of these similarities is not necessarily a bad thing - I'd even argue that it's actually a great thing, considering how well-written and well played Scandal is. I'm just hoping that story-wise, HTGAWM won't get too crazy in the future (as interesting as it is, Scandal sometimes gets a little bit too convoluted and intense for my taste)
(Fine. I'm a wimp)
Oh and here's another reason to watch HTGAWM: Connor Walsh is crazy hot (and gay. Dammit)
Jack Falahee as Connor Walsh in How To Get Away With Murder (source: ABC.go.com)
No kidding (Read here to find out more about why Connor is the best part of HTGAWM. Hint: voodoo penis)
I'm giving this series 4 out of 5.


2. Me Before You (Novel) 
Me Before You is my first Jojo Moyes' novel. I decided to buy the book one day after totally intrigued by its premise at the first sight: the improbable love story between Will, the 35 years old bossy quadriplegic who used to live on top of the world (both literally and figuratively) and  Louisa, his 26 years old female caregiver who used to live her life ordinarily. The persuasive back blurb promises me a touching love story about two very different people who changes each other in the way they have never expected before.

The book is a real page-turner, at first. There are times when I literally couldn't stop myself from reading just to find out the next part of the story. And the romance is fun too. I always have this soft spot for a love story between the grumpy man with soft underbelly and the sassy woman who puts her feet courageously on the ground and demands to be treated appropriately. However, as I get closer to the end, it becomes increasingly clear how the ending is going to aggravate me to no end.

And it does. Very much so.     

The main reason for this is the fact that I majorly disagree and disappointed with everybody's decision by the end of the book. I won't discuss any further about my disappointment (because it is rather impossible to discuss it without giving away spoilers), but those decisions leaves me cold and bitter. The ending also makes me feel cheated because despite the fact that I've been emotionally invested throughout the book, there is so little emotional payoff at the end which kinda makes me regret reading this book. This is a case where the ending totally undermines the process. Frankly speaking, for me personally, this is not a book about two people who fall in love unexpectedly and change each others' lives. This is a book about two people who fall in love unexpectedly and find that their love or whatever it is that they have, cannot change anything because you know what? Love conquers everything is just a freakin myth. 

Thanks for the crash course on the reality of love, book. 

No hope for love (source: mashable.com)
 Objectively I give this book 3.5 out of 5. Subjectively, I'm give this book nothing out of 5. 
That's what you get for breaking my heart. 
Nothing.

(source: pinterest)
3. The Breaker and The Breaker: New Waves (Korean Manhwa)
Despite the fact that I am a huge fans of Korean drama and entertainment, my exposure to Korean manhwa is very, very limited. I did read some manhwa from time to time but as far as I can remember, I don't think I have ever found one particular manhwa that I fall in love with (on the other hand, I have a very long history with manga or manhwa since I basically spent my childhood reading tons of those. Even now, I'm still an avid reader of several manga titles including One Piece, Skip Beat and Detective Conan)

That is, until I found The Breaker and The Breaker: New Waves a couple of weeks ago. I tried reading this manhwa one day since I got nothing else to read and it was an instant hit for me, mainly for its dramatic and suspenseful underdog story that takes place in the center of fictional secret martial arts' society.

The Breaker follows the story of Lee Shi Un, a high school student who suffers severe bullying from his peers. Tired of being the constant target of harassment, the kind-hearted Lee Shi Un then asks for the help of Han Chun Woo, the newly arrived English Teacher to teach him martial arts to defend himself against the bullies. Reluctant at first, Han then accepts Lee as his disciple and begins introducing him to the new world of martial arts, as well as its secret society called Murim. What starts as simple wish to improve himself physically, Lee then starts an unexpected journey to become the master of martial art who turns the world of Murim upside down.

It's been a while since the last time I found something as engrossing as The Breaker so it was a nice surprise for me to finally stumble upon an amazing manhwa that gave me bleary eyes for staying up all night long (because for God's sake, I just couldn't stop reading!). And when I started daydreaming and writing fanfiction for this manhwa the very next day, I know for sure that there is no way out for me: I'm obsessed. Like, crazily obsessed. You don't have any idea how excited I am at the prospect of reading the third and final arc of The Breaker (Originally, The Breaker is planned to have three major arcs. The Breaker and The Breaker: New Waves consecutively tells the first and second arc of the story)

But then I arrived at the very last page of The Breaker: New Waves where the manhwa creators wrote a note addressed to their readers. In their note they basically talk about the overall writing process so far and their current well-being. They talk about being burnt out from writing The Breaker - so burnt out that they decided to take a break from The Breaker...

...until further notice.

*silence*

Wait a second.
What the hell does that mean?
Does it mean they don't know when will they be able to continue?

*another silence*

ARE THEY FREAKIN KIDDING ME?!!!

*throws tantrum*

My actual reaction when I read those darn creators' note. I'm not even kidding. I totally trashed my bed (source: mashable.com)

This is a nightmare.


Si Mbak. 



0 comments:

Post a Comment