Sunday, January 26, 2014

Lessons From An Unfortunate Events

In light of my recent unfortunate events, I learned a few wonderful things that I thought I should put on my blog:

1. Riding public transportation in Jakarta sucks. Seriously. There are legit reasons why I have this major fear when it comes on riding public transportation such as metromini, ojek or Jakarta bajai (some of my friends know very well how I choose to go by Transjakarta bus or cab, instead of taking bajai/ojek). I hate that the possibility of me being crushed on the street is exponentially increased while riding this public transportation and I hate that my personal belonging safety is suddenly on high risk, in the way that I have to be extra vigilant and keep my eyes on everyone around me because you literally cannot trust anyone. And whadduya know, all of that fear is legitimately justified this past Friday, when two unknown strangers strangled my tablet from my own hands in front of my eyes (and my friends's eyes) while we were sitting inside the damn bajai in the middle of Jakarta's busy traffic. There's nothing we could really do about it and that's that. Thinking about it still gives me the heebies jeebies. I guess this would be the last time I'm talking about this and I'm gonna stay away from Jakarta bajai for some time.

You won't be seeing me riding this one for a while now (source: here)




2. It's pretty funny how I didn't really dwell on this 'misfortunes'. I mean, yes I was shocked (who wouldn't?) but it only takes approximately five minutes for me to go from 'shock-and-losing-my-entire-faith-on-humanity' mode to 'recovery-and-let-it-go' mode which includes calling my parents to inform them about the 'accident' and to not contact me in my lost tablet number, change my email and social media passwords in case they take advantages of it and mentally checking whether I have any important information in the tablet that I need to recover quickly. But, other than personal pictures, k-drama videos and favorite mangas that I have no back-up of (DAMMIT! That's a lot of Detective Conan and One Piece Series! Now I have to re-download everything! Damn you thieves!! That's another lesson to take: always back-up everything you have in your gadget), I guess I don't have any important information stored in the gadget. So, phew on that front.

There are several explanations I could think of for my quick recovery. Firstly, I do have an experience on losing my gadget (although it wasn't stolen. I accidentally left my phone in the cab and that said phone becomes a history. I guess in some way, you could also say it was stolen. Albeit, in a less dramatic way) so I kinda have a mental guide on 'what to do when you lose your gadgets' - hence the quick recovery mode. Secondly, I guess I rarely allow myself to freak out especially in front of people. This long and deeply ingrained "SOMETHING-BAD-JUST-HAPPENED-TO-YOU-BUT-DON'T-CRY-OR-FREAK-OUT-CAUSE-YOU-GET-NOTHING-OUT-OF-CRYING-EXCEPT-TEARS-DAMMIT" mentality helps me went through the five stages of grief (that usually takes place after an unfortunate event happened) in a relatively speedy pace. 

This happened tho (source: here)

During the first five minutes after the accident happened, I went through DENIAL ("That did not just happened") - ANGER (" *insert any cuss words here*. THAT HAPPENED. I HATE JAKARTA") - BARGAINING ("Well. My tablet is acting weird lately, anyway") - DEPRESSION ("Kenapa tadi naik itu sihhhhh?!!!") - ACCEPTANCE ("Ya udahlah. Beli baru. Nabung dulu"). Yup. All that happened in the span of five minutes and afterwards, life goes on like usual. I had lunch (although naturally, I lost a little bit of my appetite) and went back to the office, without much fuss. My friend (who was with me when the accident happened) told me in a somber tone that she was amazed by the fact that I could laugh one hour after that happened. Well. I have no problem on accepting the fact the misfortune just happened but let's just say, that misfortune ruins my relationship with bajai for life.

3. People responses towards my experience of misfortune becomes an interesting character study. Haha. I wish I could be just thankful and grateful for all the attention, but I just can't stop myself from observing and making assumptions about people around me. I'm going to keep the result of my spontaneous study for my own but needless to say: thank you for all the love. It's nice to see that I haven't compeletely turned into a loner.

4. I learned how to track people in Indonesia! Well, it's not completely successful or helpful but at least, that's something. Tracking thieves and stolen goods in Indonesia is rather difficult and I don't really know where to start (no, asking for police' help is not really an option. My trust for the police force is absolutely low it's practically non-existent). My gadget doesn't have that cool app that can track its position (another lesson: learn more about your gadget, whether it has that kind of security app or not. You'll never know when it becomes handy) so I turn to the mother of all searching device: Google.

So in a nutshell: I googled the thieves' vehicle police number and found his tax information from Samsat Online application (http://samsat-pkb.jakarta.go.id/INFO_PKB/). HAHAHA. Not that I could do something about it but at least, that's something. XD    

So that's all the lessons I've learned. Here's hoping that I (or anyone) will never, ever have to deal with such misfortune again. Be very careful wherever you are people!  

Cheers!
Si Mbak.           


  

0 comments:

Post a Comment